Baby steps

This topic is 7255 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi -son of newbie question.

Like features of FM7 - have created web pages with FM6 and CDML. Have looked at XML and XSL but question is can I use XSL to post info back to FM7 - all the books I have been looking at talk about re-formatting the XML and how happy XSL will make you, but nothing about user interacting with the database.

Would appreciate any insight into how to use XSL to pass info back to FM7. About to start a big project - would like to use FM7 but if this XSL thing is a non-starter then FM6 will be used frown.gif

Serc

Hi!

I guess Blueworld soon will release an update of Lasso with support for FM 7. The transition from CDML to LDML would be quite easy. And if You don't need user access with Filemaker, take a look at MySQL.

Fridolin

Apparently, it is possible, as FMI intends to provide a tool to convert CDML automatically:

http://www.filemaker.com/products/fms_faqs.html#19

"Will CDML be supported by FileMaker Server 7 Advanced?

FileMaker Server 7 Advanced uses XML and XSLT for web publishing. XML and XSLT are industry standards and provide a more efficient, robust, and flexible methodology for creating dynamic data-backed web solutions than CDML. FileMaker Server 7 Advanced includes easy-to-use tools for converting existing CDML solutions to the new XSLT-based web publishing format."

• Newbies

Thanks all for the ideas - might venture via the Lasso route - seems it has better long term options/stability without the guessing what is to come (and waiting for literature for FM7 XSL to guide me) - thanks again - appreciated.

Everybody seems to have left out IWP - instant web publishing - you don't need any CGI utilities for that. And also - you are aware that in any case you will need to be using Filemaker Server Advanced and the appropriate hardware to run it on, right?

Hi Bruce!

I think IWP is a great tool, but not for building web applications. To sum up my views: You can either buy Filemaker Server Advanced and Lasso server plug in and run it on it on a web server. There are some costs involved but You get an environment for easy and rapid development. Or You can move in to the world of ASP/JSP and SQL. Cheaper tools but a lot more difficult to use. A friend of mine with experience of both alternatives says it takes 5 times longer to port a solution with ASP/JSP than with Lasso.

Fridolin

• Newbies

Hi all - with regard to the lasso I'll use a web hosting site and use filemaker 6. When the lasso update for FM7 and advanced server FM7 comes out I wouldn't anticipate too many changes to the web pages and db files I create - think that's the big plus point of lasso - it adapts. For the instant web publishing it doesn't give me the depth/flexibility I need. For the other point of converting CDML using the tool in the Advanced server version - still means big outlay of $$ for one tool frown.gif - wish they would sell it by itself so I could test things out on a basic FM7.

Again thx for your thoughts and time.

This topic is 7255 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.