Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Activating Scripts based upon Field Value Results

This topic is 7263 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I know this has been asked before, but I would like to bring it up again in the hopes that some new forum participant can shed some light on the topic.

Is there a way to activate a script based upon the results of a field value or calculation.

If the answer to a question is yes, I would like to perform a script.

If the answer is no I would like to tab to the next question.

Can this be done in FM7 or Developer 7?

Are there any plugins available that could do this on a MacIntosh Computer?

Thanks in advance,

Jarvis

Without a plugin, the short answer is no, scripts can't be triggered from calc results. However, from what you are describing, you could probably get a similar effect.

How does the user answer your question? One way would be to have a set of radio buttons with values Yes and No. Put invisible rectangels over each of the buttons. Define the invisible rectangles as buttons, so if the user clicks on the Yes option the 'yes' script is run. If the No option is clicked, the 'no' script is run, which simply selects the next field.

Hope this helps,

Dan

I recently posted about the Example.plugin that comes with FileMaker Developer (which I have). It is available to all at http://www.databasepros.com, Resources, Tips, "New" button. There is a clearly labeled example file that shows that this plug-in can run a script (by name) on field exit.

One wonders if FileMaker would sanction this, but this is John Mark Osborne's site. He's one of the best certified FileMaker trainers around, co-author of "Scriptology," etc., so one assumes it's with their permission.

Caveat: As BruceR pointed out, it kills Instant Web Publishing. I don't know if this has been/will be resolved.

If your answer is a radio button with Yes or No choices you can do this.

Write a script something like this:

If [Get script Paremeter = "Y"]

Set Field [Answer = "Yes"]

Perform Script Yes

Else

Set Field [Answer = "No"]

Perform Script No

End IF

Draw a circle the same size as the radio button copy it. Place one over each radio button. Format as a button to run the script with the script parameter Y for the Yes button and N for the No button.

RalphL wrote

If your answer is a radio button with Yes or No choices you can do this.

Write a script something like this:

I usually use a check box for this. I define a value list with one value ("1" or "Yes"), and then make the box really small, so that the text is hidden and all you can see is the box. Then you can define a script for clicking on the check box--no transparent circles, easier maintenance, less screen space.

It looks like

[ ] Yes

Where the "Yes" is a string on the layout

This topic is 7263 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.