Server Maintenance This Week. ×

updating existing records

This topic is 7256 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have done the update, thanks for that info.

However possibly I am not making my self clear. I have changed a layout, adding a calculated field. Bringing two text fields together. All new records, when placing text into the fields, yields the correct calculated field. However all the current existing records are not updated. How do I "push" FMP to look at all the existing records and cause the calculation to happen.

Thanks again

But what is the field type? "Text"? "Number"? Or is it "Calculation"? Because if the field type listed in the Field Definitions dialog is not "Calculation", you're barking up the wrong tree as RalphL suggests. See attachment for clarification.

Jerry

FieldDef.jpg

Ahhh, a Pittsburger-my original/and still is hometown. Sure do miss it.

Now to business. I understand the concept of what you are saying, but your "easily script it" comment is the problem. I have been looking for scripting books and such, and cannot find anything. I am not sure which way to go, to learn....I need a book or something.

Well, if this is the only step you want to do, create a new script. Double-click "Replace Contents" on the left side, then set the options for the step below.

It sounds like you do not need to script it, though; i am guessing you created the auto-enter calc after entering many records and now want the previous ones to "catch up" with the others. If this is the case, forget the script. Click into your field, select "Replace Contents" from the Records menu, select "Replace with calculated result", then enter your desired calculation and execute the replace.

Hope dis helps yinz aht 'n'at. smile.gif

J

This topic is 7256 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.