Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Opening a file hosted on Windows on a Mac

APost

This topic is 7206 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a database running in FM6 on a windows XP machine. Other windows machines open this app well. When I try to open it on a Mac (Jaquar w/FM6)the mac says it's about to host the file, then that the file was not closed properly, then that the file is read only, then things really get unproductive.

I thought this was supposed to be a cross platform deal, so any idea's what I'm doing wrong?

APost:

It sounds like you are opening the file by navigating to it via the OS, via file sharing. If the database is open already on the XP machine, the Mac should be accessing it via File-->Open Remote..., in which case none of those messages should appear, and you should be able to avoid the unproductiveness that follows.

-Stanley

• 2 months later...

You're not done yet, unfortunately. The machine hosting the files should NOT have file sharing turned on, and the reason you have experienced the crashes and potential file damage is because file sharing is turned on. You continue to risk file damage until you host the files on a machine that does not have file sharing turned on.

This topic is 7206 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.