Switching to wireless but have a problem

Greg-SSG

This topic is 7253 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I've got 8 desktops in my network. We use these machines for data entry and have switched to D-Link G510 cards and a 524 router. 2 systems are still wired and sharing but the wireless 6 come up with an empty host box. All systems are going through the 524 router. The host box is one of the 2 wired systems and the db's all have multi user checked and are TCP/IP Any ideas.......

Greg

Many wireless routers create a private ip network for the wireless devices. FileMaker only scans the current network by default. If your wireless machines have internet access and the wireless router is acting as the DHCP server then this is probably what's going on.

You might be able to turn on bridging instead. Bridging turns the router into a bridge, that shares your existing network to the wireless devices. Bridging is sometimes called different things by different manufacturers.

Another option is to enter the IP number of your FMP host machine into the Hosts dialog.

There's nothing wrong with using DHCP for clients. I think the problem in this case is with the wireless router not bridging the LAN's IPs to the wireless workstations.

This topic is 7253 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.