Strange behavior in print setup script

This topic is 6821 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

( I think this a well worn topic and I thought I was on top of it but ...)

I want to be able to print to different printer drivers - a fax program and PDF printer. I understood that now in FM7 it is possible to set the Print Setup paramaters, including the printer, in the Print Setup script step.

I have created the following test script:

Go to Layout ["whatever"]

Print Setup [Restore; No dialog] 'use printer B

Print []

Print Setup [Restore; No dialog] 'use printer C

Print []

Before running this script I set the filemaker printer to printer A, However the windows default printer is D.

When this script runs the first Print Setup script step the printer is set to B and then the print dialog opens (the print script steps have the 'Perform without dialog' unchecked) I click OK and the layout prints to B. Next the second Print Setup script step sets the printer to C and then the print dialog opens. I click OK and layout prints to C. Even when I check the printer setup or print command from the FileMenu the printer is set on C. Sounds good so far.

However when I alter the script to make the Print steps happen without a dialog box so there is no user intervention (even though previously I did not intervene except to press Ok) the script prints the layout twice but now it does so to printer D (the windows default) Now when I check the printer setup or print command from the FileMenu the printer is again ( or may be still) set on C but C was not used.

Have I missed something? Has anyone come across someting like this? Or do we still need a plugin for this? (One plugin site says we don't)

Tim

I have the same problem. I called Filemaker and was advised that the print Setup script step is not able to change printers in winXP! Filemaker advised me to try a plugin. I visited Productive Computing's web site to download thier change printer plugin and read this:

"With the Windows version of Change Printer, most of the plug-in's functions are compatible with FileMaker 7 (e.g., get current printer, move and rename files, send mail, etc.). However, changing printers is now supported directly within FileMaker with scripting. For details on memorizing selected printers within scripts, please refer to your FileMaker user manual."

I found another piece of software to change printer in windows (not a plugin). It will sucessfully change the printer but I am not able to retain all my settings such a portrait or landscape when going back and forth bewtween printers.

Productive Computing is looking into the issue and will call me back in a couple of days.

Let me know if you have any suggestions.

Thanks,

Mike

• Newbies

I too have checked out Productive Computing's web site and read the same thing you did Mike.

As far as Filemaker claiming that FM7 in Windows doesn't change printers why then did they put this in the user manual?

"If you regularly print a particular layout to a different printer or with different paper options

• Newbies

In addition to the above it is strange that the printers actually do change when the script runs opening dialog boxes (even though no changes are actually made by the user) and they don't when run in 'silent' mode.

• Newbies

And also in addition to above this is from FM7 Help under 'Print Script Step'

"Select Specify print options or click Specify to open the Print dialog box and set generic printing options including the printer , number of copies, and the pages to print. You can also set FileMaker Pro printing options such as printing the current record, printing records being browsed, or printing a blank record.

Check out section 8.2 of the README file --- you know...that text file (or in this case PDF) file that no one ever looks at. blush.gif

This issue is covered in there. Known issue.

One could always use the scripting abilities of XP to switch printers. You wouldn't be able to restore settings but it would allow you to switch from Printer A and Printer B without having a dialog pop up.

Thanks for the information regarding section 8.2 of the readme! Does this mean that filemaker is acknowleging a problem and intends to fix it? My entire project is on hold until they do or I find a work around.

I have tried to set up printers with all the print setings I want. I used another utility to switch printers. What I am finding is if I set printer A to landscape and printer B to portrait in the windows driver. It will print to A just fine but when my script goes to printer B it will print to printer B but with printer A's landscape setting! Section 8.2 strikes again you get the last filemaker print settings like it or not. Perhaps the problem is that this is all done within one script. I'll try braking it up into separtate scripts.

It also appears that if you only use one printer and never change it the print script step will remember its settings. As soon as you change printers either with a utility of manually the settings are gone.

BTW, this problem only exists when the script step uses the perform without dialog option.

Thanks for your help. I would appreciate any suggestions.

Mike

Tim,

I am using a product Change My Printer from Soft Tech Solutions http://www.softtechsolution.com/change-my-printer/. It is not a plugin but an external piece of software that you call from a script. It successfully changes my printer but I have to run it twice in the script for it to work. Also, there is a 2-4 second time delay. Note, once you change printers all your printer setttings in the script step are bye-bye! The good folks at Productive Computing are working on a solution as well.

I agree with you that Filemaker sure does make it appear that FMP7 can change printers and retain settings in the script step. Then, they bury a note in the readme that you don't get to read until you bought the software. I hope they intend to fix this pronto.

Mike

I have noticed that filemaker stores one printer for each open database. Therefore, If I take my filemaker database and divide it into multiple databases - main data base with all the tables and one database for each printer with specific settings holding the layouts and scripts to do that printing. Maybe this will work.

I'll give it a try and let you know if it works. confused.gif

• 1 year later...

$17 PER PC for this solution??? That's INSANE. We have a 10 user system, with possible more being added in the near future. We've already spent more than $5K on the Filemaker licenses, there is NO way we're going to pay another 200 or more bucks for something that is ADVERTISED to work by FM but in REALITY does NOT.

That's almost grounds for a LAWSUIT. They had better get their ******* together QUICk.

Unnecessary Post.

The person who posted that response hasn't been active for 6 months, and I doubt they will come back to respond to your rant. and this Thread had ran it's course over a year ago, so the the company could have changed the price, product, or ceased to do business.

If you have a complaint such as this in the future, please direct it to the developer of the product instead of ranting here.

Lee

Yeah yeah sorry. I just needed to vent :)>

The company is still in business because I looked up the website, and that is where I saw their price. On top of that, it's hard to believe that filemaker has not fixed this issue in over a YEAR.

This topic is 6821 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.