setting defaults: can't seem to find the menu item

This topic is 7249 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have looked for a good thirty minutes in the online help and been through all the menu choices (I think) but still can't find it.

Setting defaults (for formats):

1. My label fields always come up 9 point, bold, arial and I have to change them individually after the fact.

2. My text fields come up with effects-embossed; don't want that.

What do I do to set my preferences accross the file--not after the fact, but

before I add the field to the layout?

Also, while I am on the topic of making field characteristics uniform, is it possible, once all your fields are on the layout to apply a uniform height?

I find that after I resize fields the heights are not uniform. I would like to be able to select all the fields and then set the field height to say 0.264 inches. As it is now, I go field to field and individually change the size by entering the desired height in the object size dialog box.

If I know my field height is going to be a certain height, can I somehow "lock" that height before the field is placed on the layout?

Please advise.

Doug Lazenby

The defaults are set by clicking on the background (no field selected), then changing properties.

You can change the height of multiple objects at once by selecting them all, then setting their height in the object size box. I'm not sure if there's a way to "lock" it.

The Shadow said ...You can change the height of multiple objects at once by selecting them all, then setting their height in the object size box

Problem is ... this will only work if the fields are exactly on the same horizontal and already exactly the same size. If both fields are 16 px. but one field is above the other and you select them both, the object box shows the 'total' size of the two field heights together (or 88 px. height). If you then change it to 18 px. it drops them both to 3 px. crazy.gif Same problem if the two fields are different heights - it adds them together and adjusts them incorrectly.

I was excited about vs. 7 - hoping this had been corrected and it was one of the first things I tried. Nada. I have not installed the new 2 Updater. Maybe it's now fixed ...

Shadow,

Thanks for your response. Appreciate those suggestions but they seem to work only partially for me.

1. field labels: if I drag a field and have the create field label box selected it always gives me arial, 9 pt, bold even though my text format (selected by right clicking the background--> choosing text format ... from the menu choices) is arial, 12 pt, plain.

2. I was able to change my field effects from embossed to none.

3. As I select multiple fields, (if they are not in the same row or if the bottoms are not aligned) then the field height becomes additive. I guess I could do it row by row, making sure the bottoms are aligned.

All in all, minor points but would like a way to globally set them.

Thanks,

Doug

This topic is 7249 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.