Sign in to follow this  
genostar

Exporting multiple files: variable filenames

Hey all,

Is there a way to use the Export Records script step with variable filenames? I'm writing up a script which will loop through certain found sets and then each time export an HTML file, but right now I can't figure out how to export a new HTML file each time ScriptMaker goes through a single loop.

I'm currently using FMP7 and therefore am not able to utilize the Troi plugin. Any other solutions that anyone can think of?

Much appreciated.

If you don't specify the output file, you can define what it should be at the time of each export. Otherwise, there is no way to use a field to determine the filename, unfortunately.

Hi genostar,

I suppose that v7-compatible versions of Troi File or DialogMagic (or maybe some of the other plug-ins that support renaming of a file) are in the works and are probably not far off.

If you need to move now, however, there may be options you could explore using OS-level scripting (eg AppleScript or VBscript depending on your platform) to rename the exported file in each pass of the loop.

Well this answers my question, but I am very disapointed, that to use a field value to name the export value i would have to call and os level script then use activeX automation to call back into filemaker to get the filename. I wonder if this has been adressed in version 8?

Yes, and SlimJim has told us how to do it in a recent post:

http://www.fmforums.com/forum/showtopic.php?tid/169350/post/173763/#173763/