Better add .fp5 tool

This topic is 7219 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I don't think that adding the fp5 extension will break file references. Have you tried just adding the extensions and testing to see if the references still work?

Whoa, what'd ya know it works even across servers, with relationships, external scripts, and open file scripts. I thought it would be the same as changing the file name. This raises the question why Filemaker felt the need to create an add .fp5 tool in the first place?

thanks

"why Filemaker felt the need to create an add .fp5 tool in the first place"

The renaming feature of the Developer Tool was designed to do a whole lot more than just add .fp5 to names.

Aren't you glad that FMI has programmers that are smart enough to ignore whether the file names have extensions or not?

• 1 month later...

"The renaming feature of the Developer Tool was designed to do a whole lot more than just add .fp5 to names." -- yep but my version of Developer 5 has both a file renaming tool and an add .fp5 tool. The latter seems even more superfluous now.

OK so, in the interest of completeness we added

I followed your posts and want to add a comment.

I am sending out a demo CD and locked many of the features. After locking everything, I added the .fp5 and when I tried out the demo, error messages popped up. They noted that with Read Only and locked layers it could not continue and that it was necessary to unlock and open and close before proceeding. When I tried following those instructions, I could not open some components...at all!

Fortunately, I kept a separate backup and started over with a clean copy. I opened each component and did a "Save A Copy As" and added the .fp5. It worked.

BTW, I found your posts v. helpful. Thanks.

This topic is 7219 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.