This topic is 8194 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a solution in which I need the ability to create new layouts on the fly via script. I want the ability create new letters to send to individuals in my contacts database. The only way I can think of to do this is to go to layout mode, duplicate the layout and edit the text the way I want it. I don't know a way to make this scriptable. Alternately I would like to create a "letters" file where each record is a different letter. Is there a way to create these letters via field manipulation? Within these letters, I want the ability to do merge fields for names, addresses, etc. Any thougts would be appreciated.

Your second approach is the correct one. Database approaches should always change data, not structure when adding entities (letters, contacts, inventory items, etc.). You can define layouts which merge fields. Fields can be filled out under script control.

-bd

• Newbies

You could try this either. I use it for emails and faxes.

Create a free form text field e.g. "Working Text" for the body of your message, signature and so on.

Create another field "Complete text" as a calculation. Set the Calculation to text and use a calculation like

"Dear " & [name] & [CR] & [Working Text]

CR represents a carriage return. This will combine your salutation and working text for form letters etc. Then place the Complete Text field on your letter layout. Setting the Working text as a global field will allow form letters... the calculation field doing the "forming" for you.

This topic is 8194 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.