Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Is it possible.......

This topic is 7231 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

[color:"blue"]Is it possible to call a file maker script through a custom function?

Or import a xml file from a website through a custom function?

Reason I need this is because I have filemaker tied to a program called PCMiler to give me the distance from one zip code to another through XML. I got this to work fine with a script and button but I would really like it to be automatic (with a function). As soon as they fill in the 2 zip code fields It would call a function that imports the data or calls a script... But is this possible ?!? (I hope it is)

I think the example plugin that comes with Dev7 would allow you to call the script on exit from the second field. If you don't have Developer then you can get it from DatabasePros website. othe messages on the forum have given this message. I don't think you can call it from a custom function, but would be cool if someone else has creatively found a way.

Good heads up. It's true that the example plug-in is dangerous. It's one reason why FileMaker has never included this functionality directly; because even with parameters it's nowhere near idiot-proof. It's also probably the reason they make you explicitly look for and install it. I have not used the free one for any client's files, just messed about with it.

What I find generally is that when you want a script to run on field exit, there is usually more than 1 field involved. It would be silly to run a script for each field; it makes more sense to design the interface with a trap and run the script once. Yes, it means some extra work, and yes, there's usually a button involved. But I don't see much alernative, plug-in or no plug-in.

Another factor is that the existing commercial plug-ins for this functionality are kind of expensive. Hopefully the new API's of version 7 will enable less complex development and lower prices. I would prefer to use an inexpensive commercial plug-in rather than a simplistic free example. But I couldn't justify, to my rather cheap clients (not you, if you're reading :(-), much cost for something I only used in one or two places, which could have been done another (but perhaps less elegant) way.

This topic is 7231 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.