Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Can't place an image in a container field

This topic is 7139 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I'm experienced with other flat-file databases but a rank novice with Filemaker. Iv'e dusted off my copy of FMv4.1 and I am trying to get to know FileMakers features by working with the sample files that are included with the program. Several of the example template files include a "container" field, and the context suggests they are designed to accept data entry in the form of a photograghic image file. Here's my problem:

When I attempt to drag and drop a small jpeg image file from elsewhere on my system, I always get a pop-up window inviting me to "Record Sound" and I can go no further? Is this because of the way my program is set up -or is there a bug in my program? All comment appreciated!

Howdy, and welcome! I'm not positive, but it could be drag-and-drop and not FM4.x. Try placing the cursor in the container field and using the INSERT command (I think) to put images into container fields instead. I think later versions of FM are more savvy, but FM4 (though good) was just starting to incorporate advanced features. 4.x may have been the first version to support .jpg and .gif, too, since these formats did not really take off until web exploded and 4.x was the first web-publishing version of FM.

Oh, by the way... when you insert, there is an option to either load the graphic in or just use a reference to it. The former takes more memory and makes your db fatter but keeps it independent. The latter keeps your db lean and mean but things might get messed up if you move/change those art files or the folders that contain them.

--ST

• 1 month later...

I'm used to FM3 and drag'n'drop a .jpg into a container from windows explorer does not seem to work, however, if you select the picture file in explorer and use <ctrl>-C (or Edit-Copy) then click the container field one of the options is Paste Package. This then produces a thumbnail in the container and gives an editing option into your default editor for .jpg. In layout mode you can set various options for displaying the graphic

• 1 month later...

I think what you posted

severe file bloat and very poor performance
is what i am experiencing.

When you say

use the import
instead, do you mean select the Container and then from the file menu-Import-Picture ?

Will this prevent the Slowing/Bloating of the files then?

If i am not correct in this interpretation of Importing, how is it done ?

Corey....

This topic is 7139 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.