PDFs in containers

DanBrill

This topic is 7180 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm confused by PDFs in containers. If I have a pdf on my desktop and drag it into a container field, the file name shows up with a generic-looking icon supplied by Windows. If I double click it it opens the file in Acrobat reader.

If I right click on the container field and insert a pdf file it appears as the Acrobat icon, but double clicking it has no effect.

If I right click it and insert it as an object, it has the same effect as dragging it in from the desktop as described above.

I can't get it to show up as an image at all, though reading other posts it seems like people are able to actually see the image of the 1st page of the pdf in the container field.

My ideal situation is to be able to get the file into to the field by dragging it in or right clicking the field, have the 1st page show up as a thumbnail in the container field, and have it open in Acrobat reader by double clicking on it.

Is this possible?

Thanks,

Dan

• 4 weeks later...

Yes you can. I just built a database and was having problems getting the graphic button to open the right pdf. It was acting as a global link and opening the same pdf for every file.

What I did was create a field then right clicked on it and inserted file. I made sure that I clicked on the radio button for "store only for a reference of the file" It then shows a PDF icon with a shortcut arrow and the name of the file. When I double click it, it opens in Adobe Acrobat. I hope this helps.

This topic is 7180 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.