Database crashing on opening

This topic is 7208 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a strange problem with Filemaker. I work for a school district. One of the departments uses a filemaker database hosted on a filemaker 5.5 server on our intranet. This database consistantly crashes filemaker 6 on start up. In other works if you double click on the database, Filemaker will open to the point of asking for the password. Once you enter the password, filemaker immediately crashes. The database works in filemaker 5 but you can not open it in fm6! Just last week one of the teachers told me the database would open if she opened it from a saved copy on a cd. I confirmed that it would open and with that clue discovered the database would open only if it was locked, either opening from a locked volume (cd) or a locked file.

We are using Filemaker on a variety of iBooks, Powerbooks, and iMacs running OS 9 and 10, with Filemaker Server 5.5 on a G3 tower running OS 9.22.

Any ideas what is going on or how to fix this?

Thanks,

Nick Belli

You are saying two completely contradictory things and the crashes are no surprise.

You are using Filemaker Server.

Users can see and double click the database.

There is NO WAY users should be able to see this file.

The only way to open files hosted by FMServer is through open remote.

General OS level file sharing must be turned OFF on the host machine.

Otherwise you get exactly what you are experiencing - crashing and damaged files.

This topic is 7208 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.