Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Wireless Network - is it OK?

Frenzy

This topic is 7175 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi There

I have 7 macs (3 x G4 and 4 x first blueberry iMacs) accessing a database (currently not using FM Server) and would like to consider using a wireless network (Airport?). The speeds I understand are 54mbs as opposed to 100mbs. As I have a tendency to design calculation-heavy databases I am concerned about slowness on the network.

I would like to know if the database would run slower - and if there are methods (new hardware, software, etc) that would provide the same speed as a cable network.

(on a side issue, anyone have any comment re the new Apple iMacs - the computer in the monitor ones?)

Thanks!

I don't have experience with the practical limits of non-server based hosting in FM7, but some aspects are the same (e.g. hosting with FM7 is not multi-threaded). The actual speed comparison probably won't be between 54mbs and 100mbs. 54mbs is only achieved for short distances under ideal conditions. The biggest improvement in protection from disconnect, reduction in the data transmitted across the network, and protection from data corruption due to crashes would be achieved by using a server machine and FM Server 7.

While my preference would be to use a wired network, I definitely wouldn't try a wireless network with 7 computers without FM Server 7.

OBTW, what prevent you from using a wired network?

-bd

Thanks LiveOak

Nothing really prevents me from using a wired network, and this is probably how I will stay. My office is at my home, and I have moved like 5 times in the last 10 years, so I was considering wireless from a flexibility angle (and cost, ofcourse). But I am sure wireless could be a consideration in some years time.

Considerations that were not presented: What are we comparing to? How are the Mac's currently networked? Is the referenced database on one of the Mac's or is it remote? If remote, what kind of connection -- dial-up, DSL, cable, T1, etc.? How many users are there usually at one time? (Home office gives me a picture of at most 2 or 3 users.) Are you planning to upgrade to OSX soon?

This topic is 7175 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.