Layout created when entering data into a field.

serum

This topic is 7185 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hey everyone, I hope I can find an answer to this.

I have the main layout, which has a few fields. What I'm looking to do is have a specific layout automatically created everytime I enter data into a specific field.

IE: I have fields for 10 colors set up. If I fill out 1, I want another layout (will have diff fields and setup than the main layout) to be instantly created & some data taken from the main layout and copied over (except for the diff fields of course). So, if I fill out 10 colors, 10 layouts should be created w/their info.

Is this possible? How would I even go about doing this? It's easy in Excel, but I can't seem to figure it out here. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

You can't auto-create layouts, nor do I think you would want your users to have the ability. You can create a new record, however, using a plug-in or by clicking a button after data is entered.

• Newbies

I'm the only one who uses it, and it's a shame it can't be done. I don't need a new record, I need new layouts.

Thanks a lot though -Queue-. At least I can stop hammering at it hahaha.

Hmm, wait...what about a script? I could possibly set up 10 scripts to create the layouts...is that possible?

I'm attaching an excel file with what I'm trying to duplicate in FileMaker Pro. If you look at the Work Order sheet, it has a few cells under Color. For each color I enter, Excel fills in the information in the appropriate cells in another sheet. So for one color, there is one pull sheet & dryer sheet, & for the second color there is another pull sheet & dryer sheet.

Maybe I should just stick with excel? I'm really liking the way I can browse through records in FileMaker Pro instead of constantly going through directories in my computer & opening the excel files up to check things. Check out the sheet and you'll see what I mean. Fill out anything under Color and you'll see it update the appropriate sheets.

-Edit- Also, is there a way to print out all layouts? I see options for all records being browsed...but not all layouts open or anything of the sort. Thanks. I'll go check the help file for that now.

ProdWO.zip

You don't need new layouts, only new related records. In this case, it sounds like you would want two related files creating a new record in each for each color entered. Or you could use only one related file that holds the information for both types and contains one layout for each type (pull, dryer, etc.), with the appropriate data in each layout.

• Newbies

Yeah. I just didn't want 10 records for every purchase order I fill out, if it indeed called for 10 colors. I'm not sure what you mean by related records either. You can't have multiple records under one main record can you?

Would upgrading to FMP 7 help me any? Thanks again for your help Queue.

Do a search on this site for relationships. You will find a wealth of information to help you understand the idea and get on the right track. You only need one main (PO) record for each PO. Each PO record can have an infinite number of related LineItem records (or Colors) (db size is the only restraint) and it shouldn't be too difficult to set up a workable system for you.

• Newbies

Ohhh, relationships, didn't know that's what you meant by related records.*slaps self* I do know a little bit, but I was thinking relationships were either between 2 diff files (which I was looking to avoid), or a "self-join." I could possibly just make the one record large enough (multiple pages) and use relations for the diff fields I need...I could use lookups right? I tried the lookup thing, but failed at figuring it out. I haven't really mastered those things yet, but questioning what I've been questioning just keeps spawning new ideas in my head. I'm gonna work on this until I get it working!

Thanks Queue. I'll let you know how it goes. Of course, if you have any other suggestions, I'm open.

You are correct. The relationship would be between the two files, one-to-many, where one PO record is related to multiple PO LineItem records. A self-join with lookups would be much messier, if it would even work. This is a classic one-to-many, parent-child relationship, and I would suggest you treat it as such to make it easier on yourself.

This topic is 7185 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.