Server Maintenance This Week. ×

WISHING for Type as you go......

This topic is 7151 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I wish I may, I wish I might, may may wish come true tonight.......

I would love it if FileMaker would add Type-As-You-Go technology as a specific type of field. It would come so in handy for keeping data clean.

I currently use Clairvoyance for all of you scriptology fans. This is a good workaround but clunky. True TAYG would be a wonderful addition.

Steve

Hi, Steve. I was about to suggest Clairvoyance, but clearly you already have it because you predicted my response. wink.gif

That's an interesting concept, though -- type-as-you-go as a field type. I also wish FM would get on board with this feature, but whenever i envisioned it, i thought of it as an option on a field rather than as a field type. Do you think making it its own field type is a better way?

Jerry

I don;t think every field needs to be type as you go, so it might be easier from a coding standpoint if they made it a seperate type of field. I honestly don't know why they haven't added this functionality. it seems like it would be wildly popular and certainly a welcome addiditon.

If we can get enough people to ask......I have several times...FM keeps saying maybe.

Steve

Steve

I would rather see it as a field format too. A seperate type of field implies a different type of data is stored, which it is not.

A field format with an option to pick a value list as the type-ahead data to choose from would be the cleanest and most effective design in my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree .. real type ahead would be nice.

Currently I use a script trigger (such as zippscript or the one on developer tools) on a global field. I set the field so that tab will exit the field (but I remove any tab order from the layout) When I am in a field I can type in the first couple of letters and hit tab. the script will trigger and do the "look ahead" and return to the field. Its a bit tricky

$newIncidentUserName &

Case(        $StopAutoScript <>1  // global when set to 1, script cannot fire 

and $UserName<>$LastUserName   //previous contents

and $UserName <>"";

zippScript_PerformScript( Get(FileName); "_ZippScript_DoThis";"";0)

)

script:  _ZippScript_DoThis

---------------------------

Freeze Window

if [count(UsersTable::ID)=1 // relationship based on $userName]

# only 1 user, set type ahead $username field with the found relationship

Set Field[myTO:$StopAutoScript; 1 // set to 1 to prevent this script from firing again]

Set Field[myTO::$LastUserName; UsersTable::FullName]

Set Field[myTO::$userName; UsersTable::FullName]

Set Field[myTO::$StopAutoScript; 0]

Commit Records/Requests[skip Data Entry Validation; No Dialog]

elseif [count(UsersTable::ID)>1]

# More than 1 possibilities set my username to current value and set selection

Set Field[myTO::$LastUserName; $UserName]

Set Selection [myTO::$userName; startPosition: Length(myTO::$userName)+1; End Position: Length(myTO::$userName)+1]

else

#no possibilities

Beep

Set Field[myTO::$LastUserName; $UserName]

Set Selection [myTO::$userName; startPosition: Length(myTO::$userName)+1; End Position: Length(myTO::$userName)+1]

End if

Note: $ before field denotes Global field

This topic is 7151 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.