Recording Changes

This topic is 8099 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Is there a way to record modifications to records in a way that is invisible to the user? Say for instance an authorized user says that they entered information when they were supposed to but they actually didn't until later. Is there any kind of script or plug in that keeps a history of when a record got changed and what it was and what it got changed to?

Thanks

Shane

Could you set up a script that activates when they move to another record, which then fills in a "hidden" date and name field? I don't know how navigation is set up in your database, but there may be a way to force the user to "click" a button to move to another field.

You can always setup a script to copy and past that fields information, but it's a pain in the @$$ to do. It would require a series fo layout modifications and a large amount of scripting.

I think HIGHLY recommend the Clickware method! I use it here at my office. It is totally accurate, and the user will never know it exists. You can put the Modification Log into another layout that USERS don't have access to.

Setting it up for the first time can be kinda confusing, but once you get it going, it comes like clock work (great for updating if needed).

~Addam~

A while back I made an example database that logs the time, date and user name whenever a change is made to a record. It doesn't use any scripts, just lookups.

You can download the

Mac or Windows versions here. I believe that it works the same way as the example that you can find at databasepros.com

This topic is 8099 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.