Trying to reduce the size of pictures in container

This topic is 7241 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I have about 1,000 records with one container in each with a .jpg picture. The jpg pictures are in the range of 10-80 kb, but once they are inserted into filemaker (via insert... picture...) they grow to around 600-1000 kb. What is going on and is there an easy fix?

I'd rather not go back and reference (link) each picture individually and shouldn't have to given the small size of each photo. I've tried compressing and cloning/reimporting.

Thanks- any help is much appreciated!

once in FM 6, the pictures are decompressed and converted to their WMF representation PLUS - if "store compatible graphics" is chosen in File Preferences - also a Macintosh PICT representation of the image data. Both file types are not compressed. This has changed in FMP7, though. Original image data is preserved when freshly imported into 7.

No fix for FMP 6 other than re-importing the files as referenced only. However, you can use the folder import feature to get the pix into a new database, and hopefully the filename can give you a clou how to relate this to your original data. (to be used as a key to match the two). Otherwise, use a point & click using portals and a script.

• Newbies

Thanks for the response. So, if I am understanding you correctly, there is no way to reduce the size of the container (which is currently about 30x the size of teh photo) other than use a reference to the picture? I'm afraid a reference won't work because I will transferring data to different computers and to a CD, which will have different file paths. Right? Thanks again.

This topic is 7241 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.