Quivering Mouse in FileMaker Pro 5

This topic is 7171 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

We are having a problem with the mouse while in FileMaker Pro 5. It's fading in and out and quivering. We've replaced the Mac mouse with a PC mouse... Still the same problem. Tested the mouse in Quark and other programs and there is no problem. FileMaker Pro appears to be running slower also... Can anyone help?

Hi Kick, and welcome to the forums.

I don't think we have enough information to offer much help.

Some of things I that might be helpful to know:

Is this a recent problem, or are you just installing FileMaker for the very first time on this machine.

What version of 5 are you using? I.e. be sure you have the most recent version of 5, I believe that would be v5.0.3

How much memory do you have allocated to it. FM only needs about 30 to 40 megs.

Is the Hard Drive fragmented?

Are you files being shared.

Is the System File Sharing Turn on (is needs to be off).

I've never heard of a PC mouse working on a Mac before. Is this a PC style but Mac version of a mouse. Does it require special drivers? I have a WACOM pad, and I have to be sure that the drivers are current when changing systems.

Lee

confused.gif

• Newbies

Hi Lee!

Thank you for your reply.

I am more of a PC person than Mac! So, I will try to answer your questions the best I can!

I will check into what version of FileMaker 5 that she has (a co-worker)...

I do not know how to allocate memory for FileMaker. Could you help me? This may be the issue. My first thought was that it was a RAM problem.

Re: Fragmented Disk... Honestly, I have no idea how to do this on the Mac! Could you help!?

Also, I have no idea how to check to see if my files are being shared or if the System File Sharing is turned on or off!!!!

You must be correct about the PC mouse... It must be a PC "style" mouse. I will check into the drivers.

Yikes! Sorry for all the questions!

Hi Kick,

[color:"blue"]

> I am more of a PC person than Mac! So, I will try to answer your questions the

> best I can!

A Mac is really easy to do this stuff on.

> I will check into what version of FileMaker 5 that she has (a co-worker)...

You access the Version and the Memory information, and Change the Memory for the program in the same place. Start by highlighting the FileMaker Icon at the "Finder" Level (i.e. click on it once), and then Under Menu >> File >> Get Info, click on "Get Info". (The version is also available when FM is open by going to the Apple and clicking on the "About FileMaker".

> I do not know how to allocate memory for FileMaker. Could you help me? This

> may be the issue. My first thought was that it was a RAM problem.

With the Get Info window open, the dialog box has the info at the bottom. You will see "Required" that can not be altered that is about 12,000 and two boxes close to the bottom that can be changed. One says Minimum and the other says Preferred. Change the Preferred first to 40,000 and then the Minimum to 40,000.

> Re: Fragmented Disk... Honestly, I have no idea how to do this on the Mac!

> Could you help!?

First see if a a Desktop Rebuild will help, sometimes this is all that is needed. BTW, a Desktop rebuild should be done periodically on a Mac, I usually do one about once a month, sometimes more often depending on the way the machine is performing. All you have to do is to Hold Down the Option and Command Key together during a while restart, or start up of the Machine. You will get a dialog box asking if you want to Rebuild the Desktop, just click Okay.

To defragment a Hard Disk, you will need a utility like Norton Utilities.

> Also, I have no idea how to check to see if my files are being shared or if

> the System File Sharing is turned on or off!!!!

Under the Apple (Left Top of Screen), there is a you will see a file called Control Panel. Open that and look for File Sharing.

> You must be correct about the PC mouse... It must be a PC "style" mouse. I

> will check into the drivers.

I would just check with where it was purchased (if recent), or go to the site of the manufacture, should get you going.

> Yikes! Sorry for all the questions!

No problem.

HTH

Lee cool.gif

Hi Kick,

I can't recommend one, because I have never bought one.

"I bought a Macintosh so I wouldn't have to read a Manual" wink.gif

If you feel you really want to read something, start with the Emergency Handbook that came with the Macintosh.

Lee

cool.gif

This topic is 7171 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.