Open all the related files at the beginning?

This topic is 7172 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am working with a shared database in a Hospital. The db relates files like patients data, operations schedule, and so on. The database stay in a central server and is accessed simultaneously by more than 5 or 6 users. My questions are :1.

1. normally, you should not have to open all the related files

2. normally, relative path (the default) is best

3. filemaker uses a set of rules to find a file, called the "file spec". this determines where filemaker will look first, and depends on the OS

4. when you get a "not found" message, a dialog should pop up asking for the file location. In this case, be sure to click "hosts", then select the file from the list. If the "hosts" list is blank, your server may be on a different "subnet" (ask your IT staff for help)

5. Once you select the file location, filemaker should update the "file spec", and not ask again

6. Once you open a hosted file, using the "hosts" button ( or by using a proper "opener" file on your desktop ) filemaker should continue to look to the server for all other files

I always open related files, or at least those immediately required by the user. That way I can control their initial window setup.

(The startup script does not get activated when files are opened through a relationship. Startup scripts only run when the file is opened directly.)

This topic is 7172 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.