View toolbars grayed out

This topic is 7171 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

It might be because Version 5 isn't compatible with OS X. Also, be sure that you do have the most recent v5, which is 5.0.3.

You have to run v5 in Classic Mode (i.e. 9.x or whatever they call in Panther).

HTH

Lee

FM 5.5v2, which is specifically what I'm using, claims to have been built for Mac OS X. (Sorry, the dropdown menu didn't have an option to specify which 5 I have.) I haven't had any trouble running it in OS X except for the toolbar menu thing. At work my Mac is running 10.2.8, and at home I'm running 10.3 or whatever it is that is loaded on a month old laptop. The problem exists in both places.

But now, come to think of it, I have one computer at work still running OS classic and FM 5.5 (unlimited) and there the toolbars work. I really like the look and feel in OS X over Classic, and it seems strange to me that the toolbars should not be an option in OS X - why even have it in the menu if they don't work? I suppose I could load the classic version and run that instead, but starting up the classic environment every time seems like a waste.

Anybody else have this problem?

Hi Sheryl,

I was being generic with v5 and FM. When it comes to OSX, it really doesn't matter which version before v6 you have, they are not compatible. I only mentioned 5.0.3 because earlier version of 5 had problems also.

Anyway, Versions 6 was the first version created to be compatible with OS X. Earlier versions of FM are NOT compatible. Even version 6 has two versions, one for 10 and one for 9.x and below.

With Version 7 FileMaker, it is now only compatible with OS X, and it may require a something higher like 10.2. You can check the Minimum requirements with the http://www.filemaker.com or someone else will chime in.

Lee

Ah, the fine print. It may have been "Built for Mac OS X" as the sticker on the box says, but I see now the tiny type on the side of the box (not the prominent front, of course) that says toolbars (along with a few other feature I don't care about) are not supported in Mac OS X. They know how to market a product, don't they. smile.gif

I'm not particularly interested in upgrading right now - just don't have the time to convert everything, nor the money in my budget. I've survived several years without toolbars, I'll keep surviving. I only recently came across this forum and thought I'd ask if it was just a glitchy thing with me, interpreting the fact that it worked on OS 9 as reason to think it should work on OS X, the bigger and better operating system. Silly me.

Thanks for your information. I guess they never did decide to develop a patch to add that functionatlity to the product. I'll stop chasing these dreams now....

Sheryl

This topic is 7171 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.