Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Merge records for a text field and create a new line

This topic is 8085 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Here is the problem:

I have a database with a text field. It looks like this:

Record #1: Adam

Record #2: Brian

Record #3: David

Record #4: Eric

Record #5: Fanny

I want to merge the records for instance like this:

Record #1: Adam

Brian

David

Record #2: Eric

Fanny

How can I get each name on a new line. Is there any useful script for this? Please help!

FileMaker uses fields. If you want the fields in one "line" or on different "lines" in your layout, it is up to you to put the fields in those "lines".

I.e., db layouts are your responsibility. As far as I am aware, in the decade I've used it, FileMaker does not have a function or attribute known as "line".

quote:

Originally posted by Keith M. Davie:

Geez don, I'm sorry I gave a wrong answer. I did not intend to be snotty. I didn't think I was. I thought the comments were talking about a layout problem. I guess I misunderstood. I think you are a little overly sensitive don.

Nope, I ain't goin' there. I know what you thought would rile me, but like a drink, an intended insult only affects if it is accepted, and you're just not worth it.

quote:

Originally posted by Keith M. Davie:

FileMaker uses fields. If you want the fields in one "line" or on different "lines" in your layout, it is up to you to put the fields in those "lines".

I.e., db layouts are your responsibility. As far as I am aware, in the decade I've used it, FileMaker does not have a function or attribute known as "line".

OK, Kevin, here we go again.

First of all, hnaversk says "I have a database with a text field." Later, the message refers to putting data on different lines, obviously within the field. So your remark about fields and lines comes across as snotty -- and wrong.

Secondly, in ten years, you apparently haven't learned how to use the paragraph mark in calculations.

Thirdly, if you're not going to be helpful, don't say anything.

This topic is 8085 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.