Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Cross Platform Sharing Problems

This topic is 7143 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

We've just upgraded to a Dual G5 Server and are using wrkstn installed versions of FMPro 5.5 (Education, Ministry Licenced)... sharing a file is no problem between Macs (eMac 1.25), but I have a problem when trying to share with both eMac and most versions of Windows... it tries to open up as a standalone version only and does not recognize that the file is already open and hosted by a Mac client

when I open up a shared file in Windows there is no problem (except it looks like crap... read another post that suggested Verdona so will try that) but at least it opens...

I need to be able to open this file up with sharing intact in both environments... any suggestions?

dan

The runtime should only be on the computer hosting it. The other computers, such as the Windows one, should have FileMaker Pro installed (not the runtime). The host computer opens the runtime first and then (assuming you have the program set for multiuser) the other computers will connect remotely.

• Newbies

The FMPro file (call it "studentreports") resides on the new server...

user on emac1 opens "studentreports" and becomes the owner (can't remember real name) of the file...

user on emac2 also opens and works on or views records in "studentreports" without problems

user on Windows (2000, XP) tries to open "studentreports" and instead of opening as 3rd user, dialogue pops up and asks where "studentreports" should be saved... sometimes cannot see "studentreports" in Timetables folder...

don't know what else to tell you... hope this is a start

ps have to go for now but will check back in tomorrow afternoon for any updates... thanks

sometimes cannot see "studentreports" in Timetables folder

This is a problem. The fact that you sometimes cannot see the file is a problem in itself, but the more important problem is that you are trying to do this at all. Shared Filemaker files should never be opened through the file system in this way. You are virtually begging for file corruption if you do this.

Your best bet is to purchase Filemaker Server and host files in that way. A second (less viable, but do-able) option is to turn off file sharing for whatever folder the files are in, open the files locally on the machine where they are stored, and then, for remote access, open Filemaker on a remote machine and select File > Open Remote.

If you choose the second method, whatever machine is hosting the files will become quite slow as it attempts to become an ad-hoc server, which is why the better option is to have a dedicated machine with Filemaker Server installed. But the method you are using now is not good practice with respect to FM.

HTH,

J

• Newbies

looks like we've been living on borrowed time for last few years... course, we haven't had to share between mac and windows before this, and it still seemed to work ok...

so from what I gather we should be upgrading to FMPro Server, installing this on our new G5 server and placing the "studentreports" and linked files on a shared folder on the G5 server... will clients still be using FMPro from their workstations or do they all use the server version... does this hold true for the Windows clients as well...

another thought... if we host "studentreports" on the G5 and access it only through various Windows clients, would this make it any safer to use... ie would this alleviate any problems associated with cross-platform compatibility?

tia, dan

Really, the best way is with Windows Terminal Server on one computer (with one copy of FileMaker Pro installed) and FM Server on a second computer. All clients can then be Windows terminals (with no disk drives). They connect through Windows Terminal to FM Server.

linked files on a shared folder on the G5 server

Exactly right on everything but this. They should be in a NON-shared folder on the server.

... will clients still be using FMPro from their workstations

Yes.

or do they all use the server version

No. Only the server uses FM Server.

does this hold true for the Windows clients as well

Everybody. One machine has FM Server, all other machines, regardless of OS, have FM Pro.

another thought... if we host "studentreports" on the G5 and access it only through various Windows clients, would this make it any safer to use... ie would this alleviate any problems associated with cross-platform compatibility?

This is not really related to the OS. 1. Opening files via file-sharing makes corruption far more likely (you're right, you have been living on borrowed time here... i've seen cases where months' worth of data entry was lost because of this). 2. Hosting files on an ad-hoc server, without FM Server, but with the files opened locally and broadcast to the network, does not (in itself) make corruption much more likely, but will result in VERY slow performance. 3. Once the files are hosted in the proper way, you should see no differences between OSes with the exception of some font issues.

Finally, in my opinion, Windows Terminal Server introduces far more complexity than you need, but maybe i missed something in your post that would necessitate this.

J

• Newbies

Thanks for the advice...

had one question remaining now...

re your response on the

"linked files on a shared folder on the G5 server

They should be in a NON-shared folder on the server. "

can I place this in the same folder on the server as FMProServer (mac) and still have both mac and windows clients access at same time? ... or should they be in another folder... if not shared, then how do I allow access to both types of clients?

also (ok so there was one more question!)

I have been looking around and see that Version 7 offers better OSX 10.3x compatibility than even 5.5... all our clients are 5.5 though... will this pose a problem if v7 is hosting the file on the server? we really can't afford to upgrade all our clients as well as the server version too!

thanksagain for all your help

dan

can I place this in the same folder on the server as FMProServer (mac)

Absolutely. FMS will open, by default, all fp5 files in the FileMaker Server 5.5 folder and one level below, so a folder inside of Filemaker Server 5.5 would be ideal.

how do I allow access to both types of clients?

Through FM's file-sharing capabilities. Turn on your network protocol (Edit>Preferences>Application>Network Protocol) and then, from the File menu, select Open Remote. You will see in here all files FMServer has open for hosting, regardless of these files' visibility in the file system.

I have been looking around and see that Version 7 offers better OSX 10.3x compatibility than even 5.5

I can't speak on this issue, i try to stay away from Macs. (Flame-war prevention disclaimer: This is NOT because i think they're any worse than Windows, it's simply because i don't understand them and in my environment very few people run them, so i have no motivation to learn them.)

... all our clients are 5.5 though... will this pose a problem if v7 is hosting the file on the server?

FMS7 will host only FMP7 files, and FMS5 will host only FMP6 and FMP5 files. They are completely incompatible.

thanksagain for all your help

My pleasure. smile.gif

J

This topic is 7143 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.