Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Help with Sort By

TigerBoyAU

This topic is 7104 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi guys, I having some problem in sorting with filemaker. I playing around with People Management and using the features List View, where I can sort by First Name, Last Name etc, which I will use, but I also want to sort by Nick Name, Email Address and Phone Number. I copied sort by last name in the scriptmaker and also in Define Database section. I only changed the field I want to sort by as the other seems to be that way. however it wont move, I feel its because it's [email protected] can someone tell me how to fix this? I want to sort by the first letter then second etc like any program that sorts.

Thanks in Advance.

• Newbies

You have to be kidding right? Can't u tell me why it wont work? I like how I can click on one of them and take me to the form view. However I like Business Tracker alot and trying to understand some of its features but its taking abit of time lol.

Anyway please tell me why it wont sort.

Thanks

In the People Management template, go into Layout Mode | Layouts | Layout Setup | Views | Table View | Properties | check all checkboxes except custom rows. It will then sort in any way you wish, and I'm not kidding.

• Newbies

Ok well no your not really kidding, just I wasn't expecting an answer that you gave, which was "Ignore the script and just use the normal Table View" But firstly it is in table view, secondly it works with first name and last name. the only way I can quickly sort by email address is to right click on the table and select Sort Ascending or Descending, which I don't want to really do all the time, hence the reason why I want to use the script thats aleady there.

If your unsure on what I want to do, please tell me so I can show u what I mean.

Thanks

Adding a new sort button to an existing layout shouldn't be a problem. What were the steps in the script you copied from, and what change did you make? My guess is that your duplication of that script may have overlooked something (perhaps a script parameter?). Email fields shouldn't present any particular problem for sorting.

• 1 month later...

This topic is 7104 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.