Upgraded from FM 4 to 7 & now has warning messages

This topic is 7122 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi, I've never posted here before and I haven't really ever worked with Filemaker before. The database that is having the problems was designed by my father before his passing. I have just recently updated the database from Filemaker 4 to Filemaker 7 and since the upgrade there have been warning messages that were never there before. They are:

- "This record cannot be modified in this window because it is already being modified in a different window"

It always comes up two at a time and whatever I do I can't get rid of it. The layout is setup as a button interface where you click the buttons it changes the layout in the window. When I hit certain buttons that is when I get the error messages. This is Filemaker 7 on OS 10.3.5.

Any insight or help would be greatly appreciated.

Unfortunately, conversion from 4 to 7 (or even 6 to 7) isn't the simple issue it was to convert from 4 to 5 or 5 to 6.

In FM7, if you open the same record in two windows and begin to modify it in one window, it will be locked in the second window. Accessing a related record can also cause a record to become locked. Without seeing your files it is a little hard to tell exactly why you are seeing this message. If your database is of any level of complexity, it's likely that modifications will be needed both before and after conversion to achieve successful operation. Conversion can be very complex and there are about 250 pages of whitepapers on the subject available on the filemaker website.

If you have no experience with FM, you will probably need some help in diagnosing the problem and modifying the files to achieve successful operation.

-bd

This topic is 7122 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.