How do you copy layouts to a different file?

renod

This topic is 7114 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Renod,

You mention another "application", meaning a deployment of the same type of solution for another purpose?

If that new file will use an entirely different data *set*, but with the same *structure*, you'd be better off cloning your most complex file as a starting point, since copying layouts into a blank file is otherwise going to leave you with lots of Table creation work and [re] Specify-Field work to do...

Unless you're in a position to buy into an additional specialized add-on, there's no easy way to consolidate tables that started out in separate files into one file without recreating the field descriptions, though. Hence it's important to clone your most complex (table-wise) file as the core of the new unified file.

(Sorry if this is obvious; I'm following through on Transpower just in case relative beginners are curious.)

• Newbies

Thanks, ESpringer.

No, not obivious that it should be so hard to reuse tables. All the addons seem to be file to file consolidation. There should be a simple way to copy a blank layout accross to a file without starting from scratch everytime.

I am a relative beginner with Filemaker, although I have used access for some time.

"There should be a simple way to copy a blank layout accross to a file without starting from scratch everytime."

Errr, blank layouts usually present few problems. It's NON-blank layouts that are difficult. ;-)

• Newbies

If you know a way to copy a layout (no data) in one file to another file that already has layouts (no data), let me know. As far as I can find there is no way to merge the two files into a single file without creating one or the other again from scratch. I cannot even copy field definitions over between the two files.

Let me give a simple example of what I want to do. I have a nice inventory and project database created with about 10 different layouts and some nice field definitions all done. I would like to add a fairly complex "contacts" database layout to it that I have created in a completely separate file for another project. Neither database has any data in it at all. From what I understand, I should have started my database in the contacts file. Otherwise, I start from scratch.

Is that right?

There is no reason why you cannot continue to use the contacts file and link it in to the other files. The advantage of FMP 7 is that tables can integrated into one or more files: you can use multiple files each with one table (like FMP 6) or put all the tables into a single file, or any combination inbetween.

Layouts cannot be copied between files. The *objects* on the layouts can be copied across, but the layout itself needs to be manually re-created in the new file (layout parts resized etc). If the target file has the same table and fields defined in it then most of the layout fields and portals etc will transfer across and function without much work.

• Newbies

Of course if you don't have all the tables in one file, some of the security advantages of FMP7 are lost. That is why I am trying to build the application in a single file. You should be able to copy field definitions at the very least between files when you are developing a new app. The concept of "reuseable code" seems to be missing here (unless you want to pay a 3rd party for a limited merge app).

This topic is 7114 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.