Server Maintenance This Week. ×

How to export fm7-file to a pdf file

This topic is 7121 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

There is NO option to Export PDF, you can only print to PDF. There are several export formats that can be used to do a variety of things, so why not tell us what you are trying to accomplish, and maybe, and we can help you further.

Lee

... what i want is the information in filemaker pro, to export to csv or xls with column name, but when i export them, some values is not given and i don't know why.

There are a couple of formats that will export Field Names (See "file formats, About file formats" in the Online Help with FileMaker Open).

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "some values is not given", so some additional information on this might be helpful. In the mean time, try using the Export Format of "Merge", and changing the extension to .csv and see what happens.

HTH

Lee

cool.gif

You need the Full Adobe Acrobat Program, or find one of the Shareware, or Freeware programs that are available for Windows.

Once installed, you select The Adobe PDFWriter as your Printer, and then print.

I thought that you were needing an export?

Lee

confused.gif

Most PDF writers install as printer drivers, so in the same way you would print to, say, an HP LJ 2300, you instead print to, for example, Adobe PDF Writer. Then, instead of your printer spitting out some paper, you are asked to give a name to a document to be saved as a pdf (i assume we are talking about Portable Document Format documents and not some esoteric data file that also has the pdf extension).

You cannot export data from Filemaker to a PDF. You can only print to a PDF.

You're not, by chance, wanting to populate fields on a PDF fill-in form, are you? 'Cause that's a whole different ball of wax.

Jerry (trying to prevent Lee from hairout.gif)

I do NOT understand your reasoning to want to export to a PDF? PDF, is only a way to view your data, much like printing it out to hard copy in a printer. The only benefit to the Portable Document Format (PDF) in my opinion is that a document can be created in any program, and your audience only needs the reader to view it. Much like you had printed it a hard copy and mailed it to them.

What I don't understand, is what is it that the available Export formats are not allowing you to do that you want to do?

Maybe you should tell us what to do with the file once it is exported. So far, all I've gotten from your posts is, that you wanted the Field Names in your export.

Printing to PDFs would be like printing your current layout to a hard copy. It Does NOT include the field names either.

Lee

cool.gif

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for jumping in, I hadn't thought about the populating of a PDF form aspect.

I got interrupted while responding to this one, and so if I have posted similar info, consider it an echo of support.

smile.gif

Lee

This topic is 7121 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.