Question about adding Advanced to Server 7?

ibiubu

This topic is 7017 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a question about adding Advanced to FM Server 7.

I see under the Summary button in Server 7 Admin. There is a place to enter the License key for the newly installed Advanced. This seems to change the status of the web publishing engines to "Permitted."

What I don't quite understand is under the configure button, There is a spot to add FileMaker Web Publishing Engines.

1. It allows you to only add one. This implies that others can be added. Why would others be able to be added?

2. What is the purpose of the Identifier and passcode? DO I just make these up,or is there some specific relationship as to what these need to be in relation to the installed Advanced package?

LR

What happens if you can't connect to the config page when typing the address like http://localhost/fmi/config because the server doesn't have the virtual directory in IIS that is needed. I have installed FileMaker Server 7 Advanced on another machine, and it works fine to get to the config page on the internet. Our network technicians have uninstalled FileMaker Server Advanced, and reinstalled it many times, without success, and they have also reinstalled IIS on the machine. Does anybody know how to solve this problem? All it is is the virtual directory is not there in IIS that is needed for FileMaker. We have tried to add it manually with the same settings as the one on my machine working fine, but it says permission denied.

Thanks,

Justin Grewe

Update to the recent response:

We have successfully got the virtual directory jkarta in IIS added now needed for the server advanced. Now we are facing another problem. Whenever we configure the web publishing machine, the password to get into the FileMaker Server on the desktop changes and we cannot get into it to retrieve the passcode and identifier needed to register the publishing engine with the serve. These are located in the clients tab but we cannot get into the clients tab without the password working.

If anyone has any suggestions on these issues I would be more than happy to here them.

Thanks.

Sorry all,

I have fixed all the problems and now able to use web publishing engine successfully.

To share

1) Install FM 7 Server first

2) Install IIS

3) Install FM 7 Server Advance

4) you can restart machine or start all filemaker services in services.

5) disable IIS authentication (uncheck windows integration or something)

6) Make sure file to publish got sharing configured.

6a) In Server Admin - Right click on server choose properties and client connections - add Web identifier and passcode (remember this)

7) Dump file to database folder

8) Restart Server

9) launch browser http://localhost/fmi/config

10) Put in all passwords

11) Put in the Web publishing username and password aka identifier and passcode

12) restart the web publishing (Below within browser)

13) Log on again

14) you will see the services (Internet web publishing , XML , ) turn on

15) Look for Server and then at the identifier and code again. Make sure all the web page has blue and not pink boxes. Pink = not configured properly.

16) Go to http://localhost/fmi/iwp to see your database.

17) Ideally all Server and Webpublishing on same machine. else nightmare.

Bloody tedious and not so user friendly huh.

to make things simple , my computer where the web pub engine is .

It my case the computer name / server is the identifier as the server advance need to know that it is a legitiment access to the database. Something like creating a system dsn in MSSQL.

However they did not call it identifier in the web console, they ask for web engine username which confuses me.

The manual also say that the passcode is optional.. not true at all.

• 1 month later...

1. It allows you to only add one. This implies that others can be added. Why would others be able to be added?

2. What is the purpose of the Identifier and passcode? DO I just make these up,or is there some specific relationship as to what these need to be in relation to the installed Advanced package?

1. If you need more performance, you can add more computers, say as a cluster, either with web publishing engines, or with FM 7 server. Each WPE should identify with its own ID/passcode to the server. For an idea, check the picture on page 17 of your FMS 7 Web Install Guide.

2. You can lock out web servers with web publishing engines that are not allowed to access your database server.

As ID and passcode, take something harmless, but not easy to guess, and never the ID/password combination of your admin or root account. Unfortunately, the passcode is not encrypted in the preference files for the database server and the web publishing engine.

Martin

• 3 weeks later...

After installing Server, updating server, restarting the computer, updating server to 7.0.2, installing advanced, restarting computer, turn on web sharing, starting up server, license advanced and create a identifier and a passcode...

I just can't connect to the web server. When I point my browser to http://localhost/fmi/config I get an error:

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator,  [no address given] and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Apache/1.3.33 Server at server.local Port 80

I've tried to re-install all the components, but that doesn't work...does somebody know how this thing works?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Newbies

wierd fix, but then FMS 7 Advanced is weird!

try entering http://localhost/fmi/config a few times. you will keep getting the same error, and then suddenly your web console wil come up! if this doesn't work, uninstall the web engine using the installer, trash the web server folder in Library/Filemaker Server 7, restart, and try again...

good luck

This topic is 7017 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.