Global field behaviour with multiple users

This topic is 7115 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

A question popped up in my head today.

How does globals work when multiple users are in a solution at the same time?

In my solution I have multiple tables. One table contains all the users, another one contains a lot of "active data" stored in global fields.

Each user has an ID and when they log in, that ID is placed in a field in the "active data" table. All the other tables are linked to the "active data" table through the ID, limiting the users to only see their own records.

What happens if multiple users are on the solution at the same time, will the global value change whenever a new user enters the solution and then giving all the online users access to the newly logged in users record (but not their own).

How do you work around this then? Creating an "active data" record for every user? How will the computer then now wich one is logged in? Or placing new fields in the "user" table called active_ID and so on, creating two copies of this table in the relationship chart and then link these two together?

Would be interesting to know how all of you out there have solved this.....

Global fields are local to each machine. They do not intefere with others' global data. They do, however, reset to their default values (the values given when the file was last opened single-user) on open.

This topic is 7115 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.