Building New DB

This topic is 7092 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hello,

I am a new Filemaker Pro 7 user with the task of building a photography DB for my pathology department. I am having difficulty with the relationships portion.

Ultimately in the final DB I want to select an item in a field by a pull down menu. Then depending upon my selection, this will give me one of several different pull down menus in the next field.

IE: OrganSys = Female Genital, Then Tissue = Uterus

Organ System = Cardiovascular, THen Tissue = Heart.

Create a TO, self-relationship on OrganSys, "self_OrganSys", with OrganSys on both sides.

Use that self-relationship to "filter" the Value List for Tissue.

Show values from a field; at the top-left choose the TO "self_Organ," then the field Tissue.

"Starting from" is wherever you're starting from, the base table where these fields are, where the self_Organ TO is coming from.

If this is too cryptic, let us know. It's easier than it sounds.

• Newbies

Hello,

Thank-you for the advice, I guess that I a in a little over my head, I was not able to decode your answer. Guess that means I need to do some more basic research. I did visit your Filemaker Pro Tutorial web site.

Thanks for the help.

Yes, it's hard to explain, and I didn't even do it all that well. And there are 2 possibilities for the Tissues value list, depending on where you are; ie., it could be slightly different for a portal in OrganSys than it would be for one in Tissues itself.

One in Tissues itself could (but does not have to) use another TO, a self-relationship on OrganSys. I went ahead and put both variations in this file. Both work.

Such is the nature of relationships in 7. Because the paths can go and seemingly even come back (don't ask me to explain that one), there is often at least 2 ways to do a particular related value list, though one or the other would seem more direct.

OrganTissue.zip

This topic is 7092 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.