Update Existing Records

This topic is 7101 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

When 'Update Matching records in current found set' is selected on import is there anyway to prevent empty fields, in the record being imported, from clearing out already populated fields in the record being updated? I only need the additional data to populate its respective fields in the existing record.

Or is there a way to merge two records into one where only the data in the fields that are populated in the second record, that are NOT populated on the first, gets transferred?

A solution to either would be a huge win for a perplexing situation.

You can do this using a script, but not an Import step. You need a relationship between the files that tests whether each field is not empty and sets the master record with its data if true.

Here's a sample of how you can make it dynamic.

This technique takes advantage of using the same name for fields in both files and shows how Status(CurrentFieldName) returns data for the current file, even when the cursor is in a field related to another file.

Open Master to see how it looks initially. Then open Merge and compare the two layouts, the first showing Merge's fields and the second showing related Master fields. Run the Merge script and see how only the field containing a value populates its matching Master field.

Note that the Merge script contains only one hard-coded field, for it to know when to exit the loop.

Merge.zip

• 2 weeks later...

Using the Merge Scipt as an example. I have tried to mimic it's setup. I have developed a solution that collects and tallies the scores from up to 57 different evaluation stations. Where I want to import the export from a like master file then copy this data to a thumb drive bring it over to the Master tallying solution and click on the merge to import the data then update the existing master file bypassing empty fields.

I have went over this many times. I had it working at one time and now I am stumped. Would someone look at these two fm7 files and tell me where I have missed it?

http://mark.rangernet.org/roty.zip

This file contains roty.fp7 and roty merge.fp7 ROTY is the main file and Roty merge is the Merge file.

I publish a Royal Ranger (church boyscouts) Software (not for profit) and this software is designed to give out for free to other Ranger of the Year Coordinators who would be hosting testing in their Sections, Districts, Regions..etc.

I am about to pull my hair out.. on this one. GRIN I am just a novice but have spent several years self teaching and learning as I go. It doesn't come easy for me!!! Any help would be appreciated.

[email protected]

This topic is 7101 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.