Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Backups do not work depending on Media

This topic is 7119 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi again,

Another problem I have with FM Server Advanced on a Mac (OSX) is that the backups do not work when going to a zip disk or a USB flash drive. The backups work fine when they are directed at a directory on the hard disk of the computer. When the backups are pointed at the zip or the flash drive, nothing appears.

I don't see any errors in the events log (not a surprise). Is there some other place I should be looking?

These are both USB devices. Maybe that has something to do with it? Although I doubt that.

I have Mac OS-X 10.2, Filemaker Server 5.5v4.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Jim Shain

Do this in two steps: backup to a directory on your hard drive using FM Server. Then use Task Scheduler in Windows or cron in Mac to back that directory to your removable drive. (Your profile says one thing; the body in your post says another.)

• Newbies

Thanks!

I'm in the process of writing the script. I guesss I was more in the "What is this doing?" phase than the "workaround" phase. Regardless, that was a great suggestion!

Do you (or anyone else) have any idea why Filemaker Server would be doing this? It should not care (or know even) that it is an external device. I hope FM 7 Advaced does this better, although we will probably not switch anytime soon. Given the "quality" of FM Server 5.5, I doubt that 7 will be better.

Thanks again!

Jim

Oh, and also, we have FM Server on a Mac. All of our other machines have FM on a Windows machine. I think I could not specify both platforms when I signed up.

This topic is 7119 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.