Updating and backing up a database... in progress

This topic is 7090 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi,

I am a fairly new user coming from MS Access. In Access I have to have everyone log off and turn off the program in order to back up and / or make changes to the primary file. Is it the same with Filemaker? I will have a pretty large database at multiple sites (about 100 miles away). Will I have to have everyone log off to make mass changes to tables, layouts, etc. and to performa weekly back up?

Thanks Vandy.

Fortunately layout, schema, and privilege changes now can all be done while others are in the database.

With FM Server, you can have scheduled backups that do not require users to log off or the server to shut down. A good practice for these backups is to schedule daily backups with FM Server (at least one backup per day,) backing up to another folder preferably to a second drive. Then use some other scheduled backup tool to grab that folder and put it on tape, DVD, or backup drive.

The thing to think about when deciding if you're covered with backups is: if the drive crashes or the computer gets destroyed in a fire, how much data could be lost?

This topic is 7090 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.