Dynamic find to create new record with lookups

This topic is 7088 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I have one file containing reports for students in the school, [color:"red"] reports.fp5 . This will use lookups to fill in details like reading ages etc. That information is in another file, [color:"blue"] student records.fp5 .

Teachers need to be able to come to the DB and type in "John" somewhere, and if there are many Johns in the school, see a list of Johns. They then click on the surname they want or the form they are in. This will refer to a unique file in [color:"blue"] student records.fp5 , and then use the ID number to fill in the relevent lookups. The teacher can the fill in the rest of the report in [color:"red"] reports.fp5 .

I could just use a value list of all the student IDs, but they'd get fed up with that.....!

I hope this makes sense, and I hope it's not laughably simple either!

Any help gratefully appreciated!!

Make a relation between first name in reports.fp5 and first name in student records.fp5. Make last name a value list based on last name (in related records) in student records.fp5.

On the other hand, you could have account ID's in one column of the value list and the student's full names in the second column (sorted as you like).

• Newbies

No, sorry. Staff will not have access to student records.fp5 ... I need the whole thing to work from reports.fp5

Therefore the search in reports.fp5 will narrow down from the whole school to the individual student in [color:"blue"] student records.fp5 , but not to show this file necessarily.

Is this clearer?

• Newbies

If there are 2 Johns in the school, John Smith & John Brown, typing "John" in the first name field will cause a dropdown (or similar) with "Smith" and "Brown", and from there the right record can be identified. Hence locate a unique student record and the lookups can go ahead and execute.

Does this help?

Hi Mr. Willey. This sounds like it would be a good use for the Clairvoyance technique (search the forums for "clairvoyance" or check this out.

The resultant portal could then have a button overlaid on top of it that, when clicked, called a script which set th eappropriate key field to the ID number for the name selected.

HTH,

Jerry

This topic is 7088 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.