How is unstored field data accessed?

This topic is 7089 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

To all you Filemaker experts. Here is a technical question that I have been wondering about.

Explaination:

I have two files.

File1: has a field "graphic_og" which is a repeating global container field. It contains different graphics in each repetition of the field.

File2: has an unstored calculation container field "status_ou". The calculation that is evalutated is:

Case(

blah = 1; GetRepetition(File1::graphic_og; 1);

blahblah = 1; GetRepetition(File1::graphic_og; 2);

blahblahblah = 1; GetRepetition(File1::graphic_og; 3);

something = 1; GetRepetition(File1::graphic_og; 4);

"")

So I am displaying a different graphic, from the repetition field, for each record in File2 depending on what is true.

Questions:

• Where is this calculation evaluated? At the File1 or File2 point?
  • If these two files where separated by a network, LAN or internet, on two different machines, what kind of network traffic will occur?
  • Which would be better to do, have the "graphic_og" field defined in the same file as the "status_ou" cal field or not and have the "graphic_og" defined in a local file where the user is and the cal field in a remote file?

My thoughts:

My first thought was that the remote file contains that cal field and the repeating graphic field. This way less data (graphic image) is sent through the network. The cal is evaluated remotely and graphic sent once to the local user file. Instead of the graphic being sent twice, from user local file to remate file evaluated remotly and then the correct graphic sent back to user.

Am I wrong? Is this all done at the user's local file and so the graphic repeating field should be stored on a local machine file?

Any insight is much welcomed.

This topic is 7089 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.