Server Maintenance This Week. ×

****Print to File******

Greystone

This topic is 7108 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Subject: question from a newbie

can I take info on a file and print it to my hard drive so someone else in my office network can pull up just that info and not the entire datebase? sorry if I am not putting this correctly. Hope you understand my question and thank you for any help you can give me.

Also if you can help me, please respond to my work email, "[email protected]"

Thank you,

Cyn

Think "export" instead of printing. FM can export to any number of standard file formats (tab delimited, commma delimited, DBF, ...).

In addition, FM can also export to XML so you can apply an XSLT to tranform it to an even wider number of file formats.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, Exporting is the way to do it. I use the export function all of the time in the same fashion you want to. I prefer to "export" a single field, so it's nice, easy and formatted the way I like it. Just create a (physically) large field on a hidden layout and when ready to print, run a script that will dump all of the needed info into that one field, then export it.

The problem with the export, you have to hard-code the filename it's going to write. There are ways to copy and rename file(s) with the excellent File plugin that Troi Automatisering makes.

I export the info as a Rich Text File, so it can be easly opened by just about any word processor.

Alternately, you could "print" it as a PDF file, but you need to purchase Adobe Acrobat to get that printer driver.

This topic is 7108 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.