Account created by existing field?

appletag

This topic is 7101 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I have a job tracking database that has 2 types of users. The first is the employees who have rights to view and edit all records. The second would be clients (via web access on server 7 advanced) that should only be able to view records (jobs) pertaining to them.

The database has 3 tables. They are Jobs, Clients, and Employees. Each record in the Jobs table has a field marking possesion to a client.

So...I have a great table of Clients, I could add a field with username and password. Can I get Filemaker to authenticate from records in this table? Does it require the scripting solutions I hear some speaking of? Thanks!

• Newbies

Thanks for replying.

I figured it would be a calc/script. Would the script look at a global field used to hold the "username"? If so, would another connected user share the value of the global field, or does each user connected have a value for the global field.

OK, I see. You could then just use If name_field = ...., Go to This Record by Calculation, etc., in the script, for as many different names as you have. You would, of course, have to hide the Status Area and supply your own navigation buttons so the users would be unable to go to other records.

• Newbies

You mean as an import in to Accounts and Privs?

I'm starting to think I could create a layout for the employees to add client accounts. It seems there are script and calc pieces to interface the Accounts and Privs from within the DB. Is this correct?

I must thank all so far. This is the first DB I've developed for someone other than in-house. All the In-house DB's I control. Now I must consider my customers needs for admin w/o teaching them the parts I want to lock out. I still want then dependent on me for some things wink.gif

Thanks!

Certainly. Just don't call me in the middle of the night :-)

Remember you still have to create the correct Privilege Sets in every file, create the Table Occurrence for the central "account creation" file in each of the others, import the scripts into each file (for the files, not the ones in the central file). Check that the relationships in the scripts line up. Target the scripts in the central file toward the scripts in the other files. Add new File References (in the central file), and new script lines for new files.

So there's some setup to be done. But it beats creating multiple accounts manually. Plus, once set up correctly, someone else can manage the accounts.

This topic is 7101 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.