Stand-Alone runtime database

This topic is 7077 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Nelson,

As I understand it inorder for you to make a standalone for a windows machine you need to have developer installed on a windows machine and then create the standalone on that windows machine. No standalone as far as I know has even been cross-platform.

-Al

Yes, from FileMaker's Developer's Guide, p. 22:

"If your solution will be used in Windows, bind it using the Developer Utilities for Windows. If your solution will be used on Mac OS X, bind it using the Developer Utilities for Mac OS X. If you're creating a solution to be used on both Windows and the Mac OS X, create two separate runtime solutions by binding the original solution files twice: First using FileMaker Developer Utilities for Windows, and thenusing FileMaker Developer Utilities for Mac OS X. Use the same binding key on both platforms."

I believe you can also do it on a Mac, by running Windows XP within Virtual PC (now owned by Microsoft; and I don't know if it's still available for purchase separately; it's included with the Mac version of Office 2004 professional, which is pretty good, from what I hear). The question is, whether to pay for all that, or just buy a cheap PC. The price is not too bad if you're upgrading from Office X. You will want a fairly "chunky" machine to run this.

You have the FileMaker Developer software for both plaforms already, on the install CD.

• 4 weeks later...

This topic is 7077 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.