Server Maintenance This Week. ×

IWP plug-in! Perform scripts from the web!

This topic is 7023 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Perform un-supported script steps with IWP using WebTrigger!

FMWebschool would like to announce their new plug-in "WebTrigger"

WebTrigger allows users to perform un-supported script steps from the web.

WebTrigger allows you to Print, Export Records, Send Emails, Open Files,

Close Files and more. WebTrigger even allows you to perform "MULTIPLE"

unsupported script steps.

This plug-in is currently available for Windows users. There are many

creative options that will be available with this plug-in! You can download

the demo files and user manual at: http://www.fmplugin.com online movies

available.

More movies and example files of really neat things that can be done with

this plug-in will be published next week.

FMWebschool, "We Bring the Web to Life"

Hi Stephen. I noticed your ANN and read the link. I did not see any caveats so have some questions.

While this plug-in allows "multiple" unsupported script steps, does your plug-in queue near simultaneous event requests so that all requested events are performed or has ScriptMaker solved that issue in 7?

Since Pro developers love to run looping script events, which I believe are "unsupported", does your plug-in allow looping scripts and how does that affect performance?

Thanks.

Keith,

Thank you for your questions. We did quite a bit of testing with this plug-in and have not had any problems with running multiple scripts. We are however telling the individuals when they purchase the plug-in to avoid looping scripts. We are also informing them that they probably don't want to be running huge laborious "multi-script" steps. We are working on a re-write of the plug-in right now so it will work with FileMaker Server 7. A few things are still a little buggy, such as calling other plug-ins etc...

We are hoping to hear more from the FileMaker community in time.

We have 5 movies of the plug-in at: www.fmplugin.com

Thank you Stephen for your response. I'm glad to hear you have not have any problems. I know that rigorous testing of ScriptMaker was what prompted my solution to deal with events not performing. And to prove my solution I wrote one of those lugubrious (non-looping) scripts to make sure that causing an event failure would occur during rigouous testing. While testing I often made six near-simultaneous event requests on the same and differing scripts (some short and some intentionally long - 10-15 milliseconds. Be sure to emphasize the "looping scripts are no-no part", because so many developers want to edit many records with the click of one button. That was solvable with CWP and JavaScript, but with IWP's dominance in 7 I'm afraid the developers have been restricted in solution capability. I'd suggest that you provide a caveat about ScriptMaker's single-threaded nature and its inablilty to queue near-simulataneous event requests made from the web and the erroneous information to the client and possible loss of data which can result and which are not the fault of your plug-in. You might also say that your plug-in does not resolve these issues. Do not consider this as legal advice. Please consult with your attorneys for your own protection.

Good luck.

Keith,

Once again, than your for your sound advice. You have performed a great service for the FileMaker community with your considerable amount of testing and knowledge of FileMaker scripting and the web. We have encouraged users to migrate to FX.php or to use Java Script to perform multiple scripting. If you have any documentation written on the subject, that you would like for us to post on our webiste, I would be more than happy to do so. If you have example or test files you would like for us to post (FM 6-7) I would be happy to do so, I will also make a refernce to those files and your research in our IWP 7 Book.

Thank you once again for your hard work and contributions!

In Kindness

• 2 months later...

This topic is 7023 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.