Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Confusion as to which Fax tool I should use

dubl

This topic is 7107 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am thoroughly confused with faxing options.

Here is my set-up: Win XP; FM 6; Server 5.5

The solution is for a limousine booking agency. Each day, they need to fax the bookings for each limo, to the relevant driver. Only one driver will drive a car for one day, and the driver file has a fax number.

Originally, with only a few limo's, they printed the booking schedule and manually faxed them. Now that the business has grown, they need to automate the solution.

I already am using the ChangePrinter plug-in, so the SendFax plug-in looked like a good option. This relies on a PDF file being created, so I purchased the Suite995 PDF creator and WinFax.

The process is:

Loop

Get the bookings for the first car

Change the printer to the PDF creator

Print the PDF to a specified location

Change the printer to WinFax

Use the SendFax plug-in to pass the path of the PDF to WinFax to create the fax and send it.

Go to next car - exit after last

End Loop

What happens is that it gets confused. Since I am re-using the same PDF file all the time, when a booking schedule is really big, it takes longer to create the PDF and things get out of synch.

I have tried putting longer and longer pauses in the loop - now with 30 limo's, it would take too long to fax them all. Plus, the operator has to confirm that all faxes have been sent before leaving the premises.

After reading the forum posts, I thought that FaxTool would be a better option. You cannot download a demo and an email to them went unanswered. Obviously if I did not have to create the PDF for each car, and instead would simply be able to use a Print command, it would simplify the issue.

There is also an additional wrinkle - some of the bookings have an additional page of notes which is in a related file (related by booking ID), which I need to be able to fax as well.

No cover pages are needed, except for one driver. I can set up a CoverPage field in the driver checkbox.

Can anyone suggest how I can dig myself out of this morass? Will FaxTool do the job? Are there any other tools I should look at?

Thanks

Dubl

The answer definitely seems to be FaxTool. I stated in my original post I had no email response from the FaxTool people - well, this afternoon I received a phone call from Dana at FaxTool. And believe me, when tech support makes an international call to Australia to answer queries even BEFORE the sale, this is Out Of The Ordinary!!!

Anyway, FaxTool bypasses the whole PDF thing - whatever layout you have set to print, is then sent as a fax using WinFax.

So my confusion is cleared up - SendFax is the cheaper option, but for what I need to do, does not cut it. By the way, FaxTool has no demo, but does have a 30-day money back guarantee (which is extended for down-under customers like me!!)

This topic is 7107 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.