Network sharing inconsistent

DPS

This topic is 7078 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am sharing FM pro 7 on a small network of 5 machine and it randomly allows several users to log into one database but then if one particular user is logged in, another cannot. It appears to be random. What might be the reason. Do I absolutely need to run FM Server in order for a couple of people to access it?

"Do I absolutely need to run FM Server in order for a couple of people to access it?"

No. But you do need to sharing the FMP file correctly.

Do NOT put the FMP file on a shared network volume. This inevitably leads to problems, serious problems.

Instead, get a computer and a copy of FMP. Open the file in FMP on this computer, set the file to multi-user. Make sure the file cannot be accesses through a network folume of OS-level file sharing.

Now teach all users to connect to the file through the Open Remote... command, or make an opener file for them to access it with a simple double-click.

There are a couple of big advantages to FM Server though: automated backups can be scheduled without significant interruption to users; and the ability to work on the file while it is being hosted.

Actually, with FM7, you can work on the file when it's being hosted without having FM Server. And with a little help from Applescript, ActiveX, or a Script Scheduling plugin, you can do automated backups even with users in the file, since save a copy as... works now even with users in the file.

Actually, with FM7, you can work on the file when it's being hosted without having FM Server. And with a little help from Applescript, ActiveX, or a Script Scheduling plugin, you can do automated backups even with users in the file, since save a copy as... works now even with users in the file.

True but it does require you do have the 'backup' scripts in all the files and it is somewhat dangerous to have files with the same or similar names on your hard disk. FMP can open the wrong files and really mess up your data.

If you want to take this approach for backing up, make sure the backups are stuffed or zipped immediately and the backup files deleted.

All in all, FMS is much easier with less risk smile.gif

If you want to take this approach for backing up, make sure the backups are stuffed or zipped immediately and the backup files deleted.

That's how I'm doing it.... I have a cron job that runs 2 min. after each backup that zips the backup file (and puts a timestamp in the filename) and copies it to three additional hard drives, and to one network drive in another building.

All in all, FMS is much easier with less risk

I agree, but since I'm making use of both filemaker sharing and IWP, I would need to get server advanced ($$$$) I'm waiting until my department moves up to v7, then they're going to get server advanced and lasso 7. Then they can host my solution.

Thanks for the comments. Unfortunately I do not wish to buy an additional machine just to run filemaker smoothly. I will double check the serials though to see if there could be a conflict there with any duplicates. If that is the case, then fair enough.

• 1 month later...

This topic is 7078 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.