Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Open Remote behind an Airport?

John Fowler

This topic is 7074 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I recently relocated my guitar shop, run exclusively on the FM db I built about 4 years ago. When we went to 2 Macs about a year ago, we hosted on one, and logged in wirelessly with the laptop using "Open Remote". I've also logged into a static IP computer using the same function. But my shop is now 10 miles from my house, and I'd like to log into the shop network from home using Open Remote, but that network is behind an Airport, and I just can't see any of the computers there, even knowing the IP. Any suggestions?

J

• 2 weeks later...

Your network at work is more than likely (should be) behind a firewall. You could open the filemaker ports to allow connection through the firewall. If you have a static IP address on your home computer, and your network firewall will support it, you can setup your firewall to accept connections from the specific IP address, just like it is part of the local network. The ports are 2399 and 5003.

Another option would be to setup a VPN connection between home and your work network - if your netwrok will support it, which would require purchasing some VPN software.

This topic is 7074 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.