Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Digital signature/fingerprint questions..

This topic is 7046 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi,

I'm new to the game of input devices with FIlemaker Pro. I have been reading a couple of posts about using digital signatures in FMP. I have a couple of questions... First I see most peopel recommend a HHP pad (or some company like that). Can you use the WACOM tablet to do something like this or do you have to get the POS specific signature pad? And has anyone found it easier to input the signature ina container field? (The posts I was reading seemed to be a little old).

Secondly, I see Sony has a fingerprint ID product called the Puppy. It advertises as a device that can help you with password authentication. Can this hardware/software be used in conjunction with FMP or is it strictly for the Sony software only? My boss saw that thing and loved it.. she wanted to know if I could hook something up with a fingerprint scanner and FMP for a time clock situation. I know, I know, it's a little Star Trek, but nowadays people see that sort of thing on tv, they see a product, and they want it now!

Bot the digital signature capture and the fingerprint are for separate projects... but being new to the whole input device thing, I thought I'd probe. They also want (big surprise) the ability to bar code and scan things, but I think there are plenty of places to look for those types of things.

Thanks in advance,

As always, Vandy.

• 2 weeks later...

Vandy:

I don't think you'd be able to use a WACOM tablet, because it is essentially just a substitute for a mouse, and I can't think of how you would enter a signature in FMP with a mouse in the first place.

I've seen Sony's Puppy, but don't know what it ships with. I think there is some kind of user login software with it, but I believe it is directly aimed at the OS login process. I know it is a USB device, but instead of taking raw data and letting you do something with it (like a barcode reader does) it seems to do its own verification. Now, if it gives either a "verified" or "not verified" output for you, you may well be able to do something with it, especially if the software is AppleScriptable.

As far as barcoding, this is the place to ask, if you've got any questions. You may want to just browse through this topic area to see what problems usually crop up, too.

-Stanley

Vandy:

After some quick research, here's a possibility for a time-clock using the Sony Puppy (actually, this would also work without the Puppy). First, you'd have to have one attached to each computer, and then, once they're configured, you would configure a startup item for everyone's login, which would start a FMP file with a startup script, which could record the login time and login name for the user. Pretty simple, really.

-Stanley

This topic is 7046 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.