Line item file

This topic is 8431 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hello,

I am a novice database user.

I have seen several people refer to a "line item file" as part of a solution.

Could someone please tell me exactly what it is and in what cases you would use it.

Thanks

It's not really a filemaker term. It generally refers to one of several repetitive items (from a related file, if done properly) that appears on a layout. In the case of an invoice, for example, it would refer to one of several items sold (one line per item).

• Newbies

quote:

Originally posted by BobWeaver:

It's not really a filemaker term. It generally refers to one of several repetitive items (from a related file, if done properly) that appears on a layout. In the case of an invoice, for example, it would refer to one of several items sold (one line per item).

If you have the information in a repeating field on the invoice, why would you need it again in a line item file?

Thank you for the help.

Alan

• Newbies

I think I am learning something.

Part of my business rents videos, DJ equipment and some musical instruments.

I have a customer file and an inventory file. (not linked at this time)

I want to have a rental agreement file that will get the customer info from the customer file (easy enough I think), and list all of the items rented for the transaction, a sub total, tax and total. (still not to tough).

Here is where I loose it. The transaction can have one up to an unknown number of items rented. Also the inventory file has to be updated to show if the item is rented or returned and the customer who has the item out.

Thank you all.

Alan G

Yuo wouldn't use it again but you would use it instead of a repeating field. You can be sure that just when you have defined a field to have 8 repetitions you will need 9 and you will have to redefine the field and modify layouts.

A line items file is a much better way as you can have an infinite number of lines. It is also a lot easier when it comes to calculations, scripts, summaries, layouts etc

To appreciate the relational nature of FileMaker a "line item file" enabels you to generate reports on the items in that file..

For example:

If you took a repeating field and about 10 items in you had a sale for widgets. It would be difficult to create a summary report for all the widgets sold.

in contrast if your "line items" were stored in a seperate file you could easily find all widgets and generate more dynamic reports.

You wouldn't use both approaches it is one or the other.

To expand on this you could have a portal on your invoice file and the item you sold was a "Happy Meal"

In the line item file you could have a portal to another file and in that file you could break out what goes in to the happy meal.

Hamburger, Fries, Soda (That is "Pop" for the mid-westerners)

This could keep going for each level you wish to track, in some cases you may wish to go further...

A hamburger consists of ... buns, meat patty, pickles, onions, ketchup (catsup) and mustard.

the sky's the limit. I guess..

This topic is 8431 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.