Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Slow on client/guest startup, slow on first print

Geeksharka

This topic is 7044 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

This is an unsual problem one of my clients is having. First, the specs:

- They're running FM Server 5 on a Windows NT Small Business Server 4.5 platform

- The clients (all on LAN) are on a mix of XP Pro SP2 and 2000 SP4

- There's a dedicated unlimited client, porting live to their site.

- The system comprises of around 20-30 tables/files, and typically has 5-10 concurrent users on it.

Recently, they revamped all their network and hubs from 10MB to 100MB. As of that time, each time a client logs on, they are made to wait around 2 minutes before FMP is ready for them to begin, and each time they print for the first time in a session, they are also made to wait roughly 2 minutes.

Once they have waited the first time to log on or print, they do not have to wait again, and everything works as before.

It is not a Today function startup issue, as those were stripped out long ago, and it occurs _every_ time they Exit and restart FM on their client machines.

The system has been running non-stop (24/7) as is since 2001 w/o any speed issues. Does anyone have a similar experience? Figured I'd ask before we start purging data, or clearing HD space.

All thoughts, insights, and comments more than welcome.

Cheers,

It sounds like the main file is "searching" for the related files. If they are running a DNS server, ensure that the resolutions are pointing to the correct IP address of the FM server box.

I would recheck the links in the hosted files and "hard-code" the IP address of the server into the open links, external scripts, and relationships. This should speed things up.

Another thing to check - especially if they are using networked printers - they may have corrupt printer driver that may be downloaded my the print server. This happens more than people realize. It shows up in FileMaker because the printer driver is used to draw the screen.

This topic is 7044 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.