Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Filtering data

kellieb

This topic is 7036 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi,

I'm just learning filemaker and I would appreciate any help you can give me.

I need to create a filter that will show all records in a certain status. Example: Let's say there a 5 users in my system. I want to view all records that are open by a particular user. Is this possible?

Please help. I have another problem, but I'll keep working on that one and if I can't resolve it on my own that I'll ask for help.

Thanks in advance. laugh.gif

By 'open', do you mean that you have a Status field with a value of 'open' or 'closed' (or something similar) and you want to create a portal that will display all records whose Status = 'open' for, say, user Joe Schmoe? And do you have a separate file containing one record for each user (ideal) or is the username only contained within the table which contains (possibly) multiple records per username?

• Newbies

Yes. The staus has open and closed.

The opened by user name is taken from the preferences setting. So I want to be able to filter all the opened cases or closed case by a particular user.

So I want to have a dropdown list with options for lets say:

John's open records

Pauls open records

So if I'm John, I could click on John's open records and view only my open records.

See if the attachment helps. It uses a trick that takes advantage of the way Windows deals with pop-up menus. You don't have to use it; it's just an option. This demonstrates the difference involved in viewing them in a portal versus viewing the actual records.

FilterUser.zip

• Newbies

OK. That was helpful. I don't know anything about portals, so I'm going to do some reading. Instead of having only the name and status displayed, I'm going to include the entire record. I'm going to try this. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Thanks.

KB

This topic is 7036 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.