Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Creating sub database categories

This topic is 7036 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I dont know if I'm wording it right but I was wondering if it was possible to do sub databases with this program. Like say for instance, instead of having--

Table 1

Table 1.2

Table 1.3

Table 2

Table 3

You would be able to do something like...

Table 1 -- Table 1.1

----------- Table 1.2

----------- Table 1.3

Table 2

Table 3

So that you wouldnt have 30-40 something databases and could merge them into groups. Is this possible with FM7 pro or would I need to use Access or another program? Thanks for the help.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by categories, but you can create as many tables as you need in one filemaker 7 file, and connect them together with a number of different relational operators.

Can you give a more concrete example of the data you're trying to represent?

• Newbies

hmmm.. I guess if you can think of explorer on your computer, when you're browsing folders on your system it would be like +programs, but if you click the + it turns to - with a list of many folders under it, so you dont have every folder on your computer listed in a looooong row.

But I thought as much since I kept messing around with it and couldnt figure a way to do it. Thanks for the help!

I was actually kidding about needing to use Access, 4D to accomplish this. Do a search of the forums for "tree".

You can set this up using recursive relationships. The book "Advanced Filemaker 5.5 Techniques for Developers" contains a chapter on recursive relationships. This is also applicable to Filemaker 7.

The following URL has downloadable examples of simple and advanced multi-level portals.

http://www.fusiondzign.com/downloads/downloads.htm

HTH,

Dana

This topic is 7036 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.