Copied text retains formatting and shouldn't

This topic is 7033 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Two users are sharing a database. When one copies text from a 12pt text field into a 9pt text field the copied text is properly displayed as 9pt text. When the other user does this it is displayed as 12pt. text, making it too large for the field (as it is displayed in the layout). The desired result is for the copied text to take on the formatting of the field it is being copied into. Both users are on Windows XP Pro. and both are using FM Pro 6. Any thoughts on what to look for? The problem machine does not have anything unusual about the keyboard or keyboard configuration. The user also gets the same result when using Ctrl+V versus using the menu. The only way she can get the 12 pt. text to paste as 9pt text is to use "paste special" and choose "unformatted text". Unfortunately, she loses all the formatting (bold and italics), which is not desired. A few of us have tested this on our XP/FMP 6 computers and we all get exactly what is desired. Only her computer gets it wrong.

Thanks for any thoughts you might have on how to solve the problem.

Debby

Hi Debby, and Welcome to the Forum.

I'm not clear on just how you do or don't want the text when it is pasted, so I'll try to explain the two ways.

This information is available in your Online Help, availabe when FileMaker is open. Type or paste for your platform.

keyboard commands, Paste, select, and replace keyboard commands (Mac OS)

keyboard commands, Paste, select, and replace keyboard commands (Windows)

To paste text as it was Format in the source document, just paste it into the field using [color:"red"]Cmd+v (Mac) [color:"red"]Ctrl+v (Windows), or [color:"blue"] Menu Bar >> Edit >> Paste. You can use the [color:"green"]Script Step "Paste", but [color:"green"]don't check the The box at the bottom [color:"green"]"Paste without style".

To retain the Attributes of the field use [color:"red"]Cmd+Option+V (on a Mac) [color:"red"]Ctrl+Shift+V (Windows), or hold down the [color:"red"]Option key (Mac) or [color:"red"]Shift (Windows) while going to [color:"blue"]Menu Bar >> Edit >> Paste

For the Script Step, just [color:"green"]Check the Box [color:"green"]"Paste without style"

HTH

Lee

Thanx for the OPTION-Paste, Lee! I used to use BBEdit as an intermediary!

----

Hi, Debby! I don't have XP but on my Mac, I think it's all formatting or no formatting... not somehting like "font size = no but bold/italic = yes". I'm surprised your other machines can be so discriminating... I couldn't figure out how to do it on Mac OS X.

--ST

This topic is 7033 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.