Changes to files disappeared!!

ep820

This topic is 7001 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Moved files to FMS 5.5 for Jan 1 on a Win NT4 server. A few days ago I closed Master Name file on the server and added 2 layouts to it and buttons to navigate to those layouts. (Changes made at remote computer using XP Pro) Then opened file on the server again. Today I noticed that when the file is opened using a main menu, the changes I made were not there, none of them. If I bypass the menu and open the file directly by using Explorer, the file shows with the new layouts etc. However, there are 114 fewer records in it than there are in the file when opened by the menu. Sems as if records entered from certain remotes were not added, or is there a ghost copy of my file somewhere? Is there a way to tell where the file I open is located? Using the File - Open on the menu bar is not a sure indicator. Thanx in advance for any help.

It seems that you have 2 or more copies of your file. The file you host on the server should be located in the folder Data (or such) You probably made the changes to a local file on your computer or on a network device.

Anyway, you don't need to close the file on the fm server to make those changes. It just a good id

Thanks Claus, yes it does make sense, but there can't be a local file because 5 machines are doing it, none of them have local files. However, my IT guy said I had to close the file BEFORE making changes. It is related to all the other files (Master Name) and I did not close those files. So I was making changes to a a file I was hosting that was shared with files hosted on the server. That's his explanation of what probably happened. I am reading here & elsewhere that I DO NOT have to close files in FMS 5.5 to makes changes to file? That would be nice, I can't find it specifically yet in the documentation. So I should make a Save Copy As first, then do my changes. Thanks again for the help. Rick

"...when the file is opened using a main menu, the changes I made were not there, none of them. If I bypass the menu and open the file directly by using Explorer, the file shows with the new layouts..."

There must be more than one copy of the file on the server.

Also, opening hosted files directly like this WILL CAUSE DATA CORRUPTION. Turn file sharing off on the server, or exclude the FMP files from being shared.

Thanks Vaughan, you were correct. The problem came from my lack of fa,iliarity with FMS. It was set up by the IT guy, so I guess I was not paying attention closely enough. I made changes to file in the OLD shared directory, not the FMS server. Then I directed the menu on that computer to the old file. So I did have 2 different copies being used. All is fine now, used export / import to get the few records from one to the other. Lessons learned!! Rick

This topic is 7001 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.